Have you considered Natural Flea Treatments for Dogs and Cats? Sourcing an effective and safe deterrent for your family pet is important for their overall comfort and for your peace-of-mind. Consider a natural and non-toxic option for cats and dogs...
One of the key factors in flea prevention is the overall health and immune system of your dog or cat to ensure fleas are kept to a minimum. However on occasions, even healthy dogs and cats may become hosts to fleas.
Fleas are highly productive and one female flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day, mostly in the environment; with a few laid on your pet which can fall off in your home. Their life cycle can be as long as several months and they can survive the winter months outdoors or indoors, even if the home is not kept particularly warm, to cause re-infestation in Spring and Summer.
Natural methods of flea prevention can play a key role in helping your dog and cat with flea prevention and resisting fleas naturally.
So what can you do?
- These days with centrally heated houses and disturbed weather patterns there isn't really a distinct "flea season". Check daily for fleas and ticks on the skin. Grooming regularly and diligently using a fine flea-comb to help find fleas in your pets fur and skin.
- Your pet's overall health plays a key role in flea prevention. Offer a stress-free environment and support your pets immunity by feeding a natural, high quality, species appropriate diet and by following a healthy lifestyle, to build up your pet’s health and resistance.
- It isn't sufficient to think that by protecting your pet from fleas that the problem is solved. Fleas love a warm home. Keep the home environment clean by ensuring floors are vacuumed and your pet's bed linen and toys are washed frequently at a hot temperature and dry on maximum heat. Regular cleaning is important as it interrupts the life cycle of the flea. Steam cleaning at the correct temperature may be effective at killing flea eggs. Avoid chemical cleaners in the home which can all affect your pet's immune load.
- Bathe your dog regularly in a natural, non-toxic shampoo. Cats are not normally fans of a bath and groom themselves on a regular basis but if they don’t mind then you could try it. You could use a natural flea-control shampoo, such as Dorwest Pennyroyal shampoo for dogs and cats, which contains pennyroyal mint which has a strong minty aroma to ward off insects and mites. Wildwash have also introduced an Anti-Flea Shampoo for Dogs from their Pro-range and Flea-Off Shampoo for dogs from their Pet Range.
- Use natural flea and tick repellents on a regular basis (or as recommended) that contains natural ingredients and essential oils rather than toxic chemicals. Dr Mercola sell a Spot-On for Dogs and a Spot-On for Cats as well as a Spray Flea & Tick Defense for dogs and cats. Wildwash have also bought out a Flea & Bug Repellent Spray for dogs and horses. Other products include easy to add granules in Diet'Dogs Go Away! Fleas & Ticks.
At Healthful Pets we sell a range of natural flea treatments which are all gentle on dogs and cats and free of chemicals. These include drops and sprays which are topically applied and granules which can be added to your pets food for a consecutive period each month.
Dr Mercola Spot-On for Dogs applied ideally monthly.
Dr Mercola Flea & Tick Defense Spray for dogs and cats is applied on a regular basis when out and about.
Wildwash Flea & Bug Repellent for dogs and horses, applied on a regular basis as
Diet’ Dog - Flea & Tick Defence (drops and spray) for Dogs. This is a natural spot on treatment to repel fleas and ticks based on natural essential oils such as Eucalyptus, Pine and Lavender. Applied weekly, it will help keep your pet free of external parasites without having to apply the usual chemical spot on products. Not suitable for cats.
Diet’ Dog Go Away! Fleas and Ticks for dogs and cats which comes in palatable granules which are taken daily for 10 consecutive days each month. This naturally effective flea, tick and harvest mite repellent contains a specially formulated blend of key plants known for their anti-flea, tick and harvest mites properties including eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, ledum palustre, nutmeg, basil and garlic. This powerful combination of plants discourages insects from approaching dogs and cats. As a natural supplement, Go Away! Fleas & Ticks gently works internally to ward off unwanted hitchhikers.
Biospotix sell a range of all natural products to protect against fleas and ticks, including:
Biospotix also do a multi-action skin care line called Dermocare+ which contains Geraniol, lemon grass, tea tree, Scots pine and Lavandin. This range is ideal for helping with skin and coat problems but can also be used as a natural insect repellent for sensitive dogs or for those times of the year when fleas and ticks are less prolific. Biospotix Natural Flea & Tick Spray Repellent for Dogs is an effective natural solution to protect your pet from fleas, ticks and mosquitos and help avoid new infestation. This 500ml Dog Flea Spray is also 100% natural and chemical free based on Geraniol essential oils which works by blocking the insects respiratory system. Biospotix Spray covers your pet's coat with a protective film repelling fleas, ticks and other external parasites.
To find out more, read our : Fleas & Natural Flea Control Factsheet proof
Check out specific details and dosages on our website. Not all products are suitable for cats as they contain essential oils. Read product labels carefully as it may be necessary to consult your veterinarian.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this article or have any questions, then please contact us on: 01565 740 777.
References and Resources
Allport, R. (2010). Heal Your Dog the Natural Way
Dodds, W.J., (2015). Canine Nutrigenomics – the new science of feeding your dog for optimum nutrition.
Pitcairn, R. H (2005). Dr Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.